Get ahead of the cold seasons and begin prepping your home for the fall and winter months. By taking early action, you can help prevent costly damages to your home that may come during the winter months. The fall home checklist below will help get your home ready for autumn and will cut down on your housework for the winter.
Exterior Fall Checklist
Stay on Top of Roof Repairs
- Check & fix any missing shingles or shingles that may be damaged. Making these repairs during the fall will save homeowners money during winter months, as less heat will escape the house and prevent further damage caused by snow.
Clean Out Gutters
- Gutter maintenance should be top of mind as homeowners go through their fall home checklist. Clearing out gutters will prevent the build-up of leaves and other debris. Gutters left alone can lead to rot problems, pest infestations, and of course, ruined gutters.
Inspect the Flue
- To prevent chimney fires, fireplace flues should be checked regularly and cleaned by professionals. Additionally, it’s important to make sure there is a tight seal on the flue so warm air isn’t escaping.
Interior Fall Checklist
- It’s easy to forget about smoke and carbon monoxide detectors so adding it to the fall home checklist is a simple way to keep them maintained. Homeowners should be testing and changing batteries in each detector. In addition, if the home’s fire extinguisher is 6+ years old then that should be replaced as well.
Filters, Ducts and Heating System Inspections
- Homeowners should replace furnace filters and call an HVAC professional to inspect and service the furnace prior to turning on the heat. Additionally, the home’s ducts should be cleared to help heat run more efficiently and prevent bacteria growth.
Weather Proof Windows & Doors
- Every fall home checklist should include checking and changing out summer screens to cool weather storm windows and doors. Homeowners should also repair loose windows or door frames and install weather stripping if needed.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.